My Dog Ate Weed, What Should I Do Now?

Although it may not sound possible, a dog consuming weed is more common than you may think. Unfortunately, in some instances, if marijuana is not stored safely away from the reach of pets, it can become a health risk for those pets who like to eat everything they find. Because of this, it’s important to know if your dog ate weed and what you should do if this situation occurs.

Dog ate weed

What to Do if Your Dog Ate Weed

If your dog eats weed, first of all, don’t panic. There are a few steps you can take to help care for your dog properly in the event of this type of accident. Read through the article below to find out more and to get some advice for what to do in this situation.

Below are 4 things you should do in the event that your dog ate weed:

Determine the Type of Marijuana Consumed 

First, it’s important to figure out what type of marijuana your dog has eaten. This will be vital information to share with the veterinarian who’s caring for your pet.

Marijuana Buds

If your dog ate straight buds, this is more dangerous than consuming the leaves of the marijuana plant.  

Marijuana Leaves 

Oil and butter made from marijuana leaves contains much higher levels of THC than other types, so these are even more dangerous for your pet.

Keep in mind that CBD is not the same thing as THC. It is safe for dogs to consume a vet-approved quantity of CBD without any risk. THC is the component in marijuana that makes it more dangerous for dogs.

Consider Other Ingredients

If your dog consumed an edible, it’s very important to look at the list of ingredients (or the recipe used) to determine other potential hazards in the product.

Many edibles, like pot brownies, contain a lot of chocolate. Chocolate is more dangerous for your dog than THC, so if he eats a pot brownie, he needs to go to the emergency vet right away.

There may be other ingredients present in other types of edibles that can be harmful to your dog, too. For example, some gummies and other candy versions of edibles may contain Xylitol, which is potentially fatal to dogs.

Watch for Symptoms of Weed Toxicity in Dogs

Another thing you should do if your dog ate weed is to keep an eye out for any symptoms of weed toxicity. This is a very serious condition in dogs, so if you notice any of the signs mentioned below you should seek immediate veterinary care for your pet.

Symptoms of weed poisoning in dogs include, but may not be limited to:

  • Loss of coordination 
  • Inability to control urine
  • Vomiting 
  • Dilated pupils
  • Low or high body temperature
  • Irregular heart rate 
  • Depression or hyperesthesia, and in severe cases seizures

If your dog has an irregular heart rate or if he starts vomiting a lot, it’s time to go to the emergency vet. These are signs that the weed toxicity has worsened, and it may reach dangerous levels if you don’t respond quickly. If your dog has a seizure, this is an even more serious emergency.

Go to the Vet

Even if it is embarrassing, take your dog to the vet after he consumes marijuana. You may feel nervous about telling the veterinarian what happened, but keep in mind that they will not share this information with law enforcement. Additionally, the vet isn’t there to judge you; they just want to help your dog recover from this situation.

All dogs that have ingested marijuana need to have their vitals evaluated by a vet. If your primary veterinarian is unavailable, you need to take your dog to the emergency vet immediately.

Expect Pet Hospitalization if Your Dog Ate Weed

If your dog is suffering from moderate to severe symptoms of weed toxicity, or if you know that your dog ate weed, understand that he may be hospitalized or kept at the vet’s office for a while to monitor his condition. He may also need IV fluids and could need to have his heart rate regulated while he is there.

Even though dogs may need to be temporarily hospitalized for treatment if he ate weed, keep in mind that the condition is not usually fatal. Only if a dog consumes an excessively high amount of marijuana, or if it contains a lot of chocolate or even a small amount of Xylitol, is there a risk of death.

How to Prevent Your Dog from Eating Weed

Your vet will likely give you instructions on preventing further instances of marijuana consumption by your dog. The vet may tell you how to store marijuana properly and to always be sure your dog is kept away from all forms of marijuana in your home.

By taking time to store your marijuana properly and put away any edibles when you are finished with them, you can help keep your dog safer. The less access your dog has to marijuana of any kind, the less likely he will be to eat it in the future.

Come to VEG if Your Dog Ate Weed

By following this guide, you can take care of your dog after accidental ingestion of marijuana. Your dog’s health and wellness should always be top priority. If you experience this situation with your pet, it’s extremely important to take them to the vet or emergency vet as soon as possible for treatment.

Additionally, make sure you do not ever feed your dog marijuana on purpose. This is not funny, and it can be extremely dangerous for your pet. Always be a responsible pet owner and give your dog the safest environment possible.

At VEG, we care about your dog’s health and are prepared to handle any emergency situation. Most of our locations are open 24/7 and our emergency veterinarians are ready to give your pet the immediate attention that they deserve. If your dog ate weed, don’t hesitate to contact our team, we are here to help. 

5 Things Dogs Ingest That Require Emergency Care

What to Do with Insect Bites on a Dog

Recent Posts

About VEG

VEG is a network of Emergency Veterinarians located across the country. We are dedicated to helping people and their pets when they need it most. If your pet is ever in an emergency situation, use the link below to find our nearest location so we can get your pet the help they need.