Cherry Blossom Poisoning In Dogs

Are Cherry Blossoms Poisonous for Dogs?

Dr. Allison Faust

Sep 21, 2023

Call & Speak with a doctor Open 24/7, Even Holidays!

Walk in today for:




Point-of-Care Ultrasound


Urgent Care




Diagnostics + Testing


End-of-Life Care




Treatment + Hospitalization

As a dedicated pet owner, you’re always on the lookout for potential hazards that could harm your beloved furry friend. One question that often arises, especially during the spring season, is, “Are cherry blossoms poisonous for dogs?” The short answer is yes, cherry blossoms, as well as other parts of the cherry tree, can indeed be harmful to dogs. But let’s dive deeper into this topic to provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the risks and preventive measures you can take.

The Hidden Dangers of Cherry Blossoms for Dogs

Cherry blossoms, beneath their aesthetic appeal lies a hidden danger for our canine companions. The cherry tree, including its blossoms, leaves, and seeds, contains cyanogenic glycosides. These compounds can produce cyanide when metabolized, leading to cyanide poisoning in dogs. While all parts of the tree contain these harmful compounds, the highest concentrations are found in the leaves and seeds.

Symptoms of Cherry Blossom Poisoning

If your dog has ingested cherry blossoms or other parts of the cherry tree, they may exhibit a range of symptoms, which can vary depending on the amount ingested and the size of your dog. Early signs of cyanide poisoning often include gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain as well as muscle spasms, excessive panting, difficulty breathing, and red gums, indicating that your pet’s body is struggling to deliver enough oxygen to its tissues.

As the poisoning progresses, you may notice more severe symptoms such as dilated pupils, a rapid heart rate, and shock. In extreme cases, ingestion of cherry blossoms can lead to seizures, coma, and even death. Therefore, it’s crucial to seek veterinary attention immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested any part of a cherry tree.

Immediate Actions to Take if Your Dog Ingests Cherry Blossoms

Time is of the essence when dealing with potential cherry blossom poisoning. If you suspect your dog has ingested cherry blossoms, the first step is to remove any remaining plant material from their mouth, if safe to do so.

Next, call an emergency vet immediately. It’s important not to induce vomiting unless directed by a professional, as this can sometimes cause more harm than good.

While you are on the way to the emergency room, it is always a good idea to contact a poison control hotline to get a case number started for the emergency team. This way, they can ensure they are providing the best and most up-to-date care for your pet. You can contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 or Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661. Provide this case number and call back number to the medical team when you arrive.

Preventing Cherry Blossom Poisoning in Dogs

As the saying goes, prevention is better than cure. This is particularly true when it comes to cherry blossom poisoning in dogs. During cherry blossom season, it’s essential to supervise your dog when they’re outside. If you’re walking near cherry trees, keep your dog on a leash to prevent them from ingesting any fallen blossoms or leaves.

Regularly check your yard for fallen blossoms or leaves and remove them promptly. If you have cherry trees in your yard, consider fencing them off or creating a designated play area for your dog that’s free from any potentially harmful plants.

Creating a Safe Environment for Your Dog During Cherry Blossom Season

Creating a safe environment for your dog extends beyond just physical modifications to your yard. Training your dog to avoid certain areas or not to eat unknown substances can also be beneficial. For dogs who love to pick up everything in site despite your best efforts, you may consider discussing basket muzzle training with your primary care veterinarian to help reduce the risk of ingestion.

Additionally, educating yourself and your family about the potential dangers of cherry blossoms and other harmful plants can go a long way in preventing accidental ingestion. Remember, your dog relies on you for their safety, so it’s up to you to ensure their environment is as safe as possible.

Contact VEG Right Away if Your Dog Ingested Cherry Blossoms

At VEG, we understand that your pet is a cherished member of your family. That’s why we’re committed to providing immediate, comprehensive care for your pets in times of emergency. Our team of experienced veterinarians is available around the clock to assist with any concerns or emergencies you may have.

If you’re worried about potential cherry blossom poisoning or any other health issue, don’t hesitate to call your nearest VEG hospital. Veterinary Emergency Group has the expertise and resources to provide the best possible care for your pet. Your pet’s health is our top priority, and we’re here to provide support and guidance when you need it most.

In conclusion, while cherry blossoms are indeed beautiful, they can pose a significant risk to our canine companions. By being aware of the dangers and taking preventative measures, you can ensure a safe and happy cherry blossom season for your dog.

Remember, if you have any concerns or if your dog is showing signs of illness, call VEG immediately. We’re here to help. Your pet’s health and well-being are our top priorities, and we’re committed to providing the highest level of care possible.